Annotations of Readings

Introduction: These images provide examples of a reading that was given out during the first week of classes, and would remain important throughout the entire semester. This reading by Lloyd F. Bitzer provided the basic mechanics to writing, especially when writing about certain issues. This work would become a significant tool to refer back to when constructing essays like the opinion editorial and the critical analysis essay. Bitzer’s main point was to discuss how to write a rhetorical situation. Put more simply, Bitzer talks about how to write about an issue or problem and the ways you can provide concrete examples of how this problem is real. Bitzer also conveys ways to target a specific audience and the actions you want them to take as a result of this problem. These ideas were helpful in thinking about what issues I wanted to write about over the course of the semester and who I wanted to write them for, as these people would be my audience that I am expecting to enact some sort of change or more awareness.